The mobile-only streaming service Quibi is finally launched amid the Coronavirus Outbreak. The bite-sized streaming service, which is touted as the rival to Netflix and YouTube, has $1.8bn (£1.47bn) for the project. What makes Quibi stand apart from the plethora of online streaming services is its offering of short videos spanning 10-minutes or less. According to Sensory Tower, the online video streaming platform raked in 3,00,000 installs on the day of release. It is a pretty impressive figure, although much can be attributed to the heavy promotions that also included a super bowl ad.
What is Quibi?
The Hollywood producer Jeffrey Katzenberg founded Quibi. The subscription-based streaming platform delivers short-form scripted and unscripted content on mobile. Termed as quick bytes, the shows run only for a shorter duration of 10 minutes or less. The app comes in handy for users who are short of time or constantly on the move.
What are the Features of the Quibi
- Quibi is exclusive to movies, and the viewers can watch the content exclusively on their smartphones and tablets.
- A new feature called “Turnstyle” enables the videos to stay full screen irrespective of whether it is in portrait or landscape.
- On Quibi, the content is offered in small bites of 10 minutes or less
- It is available for download on both the Google Play store and the App Store
- Quibi is set to offer 8500 episodes across 175 shows during the first year of the launch
- It is currently being offered for a 90-day free trial of its ad-supported version.
- T-mobile customers can avail one year of service for free
- Quibi allows only a single concurrent stream at a time
- You can download and watch Quibi shows and movies and watch them offline in the absence of an internet connection.
- Quibi doesn’t allow multiple user-profiles and can be watched only on your phone.
Subscription plans of the Quibi
As of now, Quibi is offered in two subscription plans, one with an ad-supported version and the other plan with no ads. Of the two available plans, the $4.99-per-month option is the affordable plan, but it does come with ads. To enjoy streaming content without ads, then you need to subscribe to the higher $7.99-per-month plan. Quibi is also offering a 90-day free trial to anyone who signs up before the end of April 2020. T-mobile customers with multiple plans are eligible to claim one year full of Quibi service.
How Does it work?
Quibi is designed to work only on mobiles, i.e., on your phones and tablets. Initially, you have to download the app from Google Play or the App Store. It supports video viewing both vertical and horizontal modes and the users can easily switch between the two video modes thanks to “Turnstyle” technology.
Currently, the Quibi service is limited to the US, India, and Canada, although the company has plans to expand the service to other countries in the coming days. Quibi includes four “lighthouse” original movies, the remake of “The Most Dangerous Game,” starring Liam Hemsworth, Christoph Waltz, and Sarah Gadon, The other shows include, Survive featuring Sophie Turner and Corey Hawkins, Will Forte, Kaitlin Olson, Arturo Castro, Eva Longoria, and Andy Garcia featured “Flipped” and “When the streetlights go on.” Besides, there are 19 unscripted series at the launch, including Chance the Rapper’s new take on Punk’d, Murder House Flip, and many more.